Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.
Mu Sigma Chapter of Greater Baton Rouge
HISTORY of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority dates from November 12, 1922, when the first Sigma Gamma Rho chapter was organized at Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana, by seven young school teachers. The first three years of its existence were confined to organizing.
On December 30, 1929, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority was incorporated to provide permanence and a central office to serve all the chapters. More than 400 undergraduate and graduate chapters have since been established throughout the country.
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., is a nonprofit, collegiate organization with foci on community service. Its purpose is expressed in its slogan “Greater Service, Greater Progress.”
The organization has never employed paid organizers, salesmen, instructors, or advertising.